What is Yodas famous line?
Star Wars: 5 of Yoda’s most inspiring quotes
No character in the Star Wars universe has spoken more powerful words than Yoda. Let’s take a look at five of his most inspiring quotes.
Master Yoda has always been one of the most influential characters in all of Star Wars. Given Yoda’s life experiences, when he speaks, people listen.
So, let’s take a look at five of Yoda’s most influential quotes that we can maybe use as inspiration for our everyday lives.
More from Star Wars Characters
- Ranking live action versions of animated Star Wars characters
- 5 Star Wars characters that deserve live-action debuts
- New Ahsoka trailer reveals live-action Thrawn
- John Boyega is excited to ‘just be a fan again’ post-Star Wars
- Everything we know so far about brand new Ahsoka series coming to Disney+
5. “Always pass on what you have learned.”
As he was preparing to die, Yoda spoke these words to Luke Skywalker in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi. Yoda was letting him know that after he passes away, Luke would be the last of the Jedi, and that it was critical for him to not fall to the dark side, despite the potential temptations from Emperor Palpatine. Yoda would die several moments later.
4. “Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you?”
In Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, while Luke Skywalker was down on himself during his Jedi training when he failed to lift his ship using the force, Yoda reminded him that size does not matter, even though Luke insisted he could not lift the ship because it was too heavy. Yoda then marked this quote, and proceeded to lift the ship using the force, showing Luke that size indeed does not matter.
3. “Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”
Upon having haunting visions, Anakin Skywalker decided it was time to meet with Yoda himself to discuss this in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Seeing that Anakin had a fear of loss, Yoda reminded him that he has to let go of anything he is afraid to lose, or he very well could be led to a path towards the dark side.
2. “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
In Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, while young Anakin Skywalker met Yoda and the rest of the Jedi Council for the first time, it’s discovered that Anakin misses his mother, and he is afraid that he will lose her. Yoda can sense Anakin’s fear, which is what leads to this notable quote.
1. “Do. Or do not. There is no try.”
While training Luke Skywalker to be a Jedi in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda gives him a task, and Luke says he will try to achieve it. As a result, Yoda doesn’t take to fondly to Luke saying that he will simply try. Yoda basically says there is no such thing as trying, which leads to what is probably the Jedi Master’s most famous quote.
Which of Master Yoda’s many memorable quotes do you believe is the most inspiring? Let me know in the comments below.
34 Yoda Quotes That Teach Your Kid Resilience
Because Yoda doesn’t believe in too much complaining.
Updated: Dec. 29, 2022
Originally Published: Jan. 22, 2021
Sunset Boulevard/Corbis Historical/Getty Images
Small yet powerful, Yoda of Star Wars is one of the best fantastical characters to help guide young children through the tribulations of life. While kids’ lives aren’t as hectic as the Jedi Master — whose work included training Jedi for 800 years, instructing Luke Skywalker, and unlocking the path to immortality — childhood still throws some sucker punches that rival the Clone Wars and the best Yoda quotes, believe it or not, is all the inspiration they need at times at this.
Unrequited crushes? Mean teachers? Math? Of all the wisdom Yoda is known for, the most powerful of his backward-tongued lines are those revolving around strength and the ability to power through life’s hardest moments. His maternal instinct is the definition of tough love, and if that doesn’t come easily to you then use the best Yoda quotes below to teach your kids resilience.
We took these Yoda quotes not just from the classic Star Wars trilogy, but also from the prequel films, and the cartoons — Rebels and The Clone Wars — too!
- “In a dark place we find ourselves, and a little more knowledge lights our way.”
- “Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”
- “A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
- “Do or do not. There is no try.”
- “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
- “Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes. Even between the land and the ship.”
- “Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter.”
- “A challenge lifelong it is, not to bend fear into anger.”
- “To be Jedi is to face the truth, and choose. Give off light, or darkness, Padawan. Be a candle or the night.”
- “Smaller in number are we, but larger in mind.”
- “Your path you must decide.”
- “Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.”
- “Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is.”
- “Your weapons, you will not need them.”
- “If no mistake you have made, losing you are. A different game you should play.”
- “To answer power with power, the Jedi way this is not. In this war, a danger there is, of losing who we are.”
- “In the end, cowards are those who follow the dark side.”
- “You will only find what you bring in.”
- “Already know you that which you need.”
- “[You will know good from bad] When you are calm, at peace… passive.”
- “Named must your fear be before banish it you can.”
- “[Luke Skywalker:] I can’t believe it. [Yoda:] That is why you fail.”
- “Happens to every guy sometimes this does”
- “When you look at the dark side, careful you must be. For the dark side looks back.”
- “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
- “The greatest teacher, failure is.”
- “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
- “Out of acceptance comes wisdom. Not an acquirement wisdom is, not knowledge wisdom is, not information. This quality of tremendous acceptance is wisdom.”
- “So certain were you. Go back and closer you must look.”
- “The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the light, the future is.”
- “Many of the truths that we cling to depend on our point of view.”
- “Do not assume anything.”
- “Pass on what you have learned.”
- “Patience you must have, my young padawan.” – Yoda.
30+ Wise Yoda Quotes That Will Change the Way You Think
I know right, crazy! How on earth does one get to be 35 years of age and never have seen Star Wars?
Well, I guess it was never introduced to me. And by the time I actually heard of it, (probably late teens) it just wasn’t something I was willing to commit to. Hopefully, I’m not offending anyone – too much.
One day, I guess I’ll get round to it and when I do, it’s likely due to the legendary Yoda.
I may not have seen the movies, but I know of all the characters and Yoda is by far my favourite. That and his quotes!
For this post, I went searching high and low for Yoda’s famous quotes, many I had heard of and some new ones sang to my ears.
Table of Contents
Who Is Yoda?
An eccentric character of an unknown species, Yoda was the leader of the Jedi Order from an unknown planet and reached the age of 900 years old.
He was extremely knowledgeable of the Force, an expert teacher, speaking true wisdom to everyone who made contact with him. He was believed to be one of the most powerful Jedi Masters by the second trilogy series.
Why You Should Listen to Yoda?
Yoda had an interesting way with words where most of his speach could be interpreted as cryptic-riddle like quotes that would usually contain a hidden meaning.
On the surface, Yoda’s quotes could be interpreted as subtle gestures of inspiration but on a deeper level he spoke of pure wisdom that could help shift the mindset of any listener.
Whether you’re a fan of Star Wars or not, most will agree that Yoda’s powerful quotes can be used to teach great mental strength, discipline, motivation and undying belief in oneself.
Yoda Quotes Full of Wisdom to Awaken The Force Within You
I’ve listed my favourite Yoda quotes below with a short interpretation of them to uncover their true and full meaning.
Understanding what Yoda was saying can help you discover many principles of life, speak of them to yourself or with friends to reminisce of the classic movie franchise or encourage yourself of success in everything you do.
1. “Do or do not. There is no try.” – Yoda
We often try to achieve things in life in which we give up on or our motivation to achieve them dwindles away. This quote is all about mindset and believing in the process, having complete faith in your ability and never giving up even when it seems impossible.
2. “You must unlearn what you have learned.” – Yoda
When we get to adulthood and decide to take on the world, we realise that what it takes to accomplish our goals can be more difficult than we first thought. This is often due to needing to unlearn things that we were taught to believe when we were kids and in our teens.
3. “Named must be your fear before banish it you can.” – Yoda
Yoda is stating that to eliminate your fears, you must first become aware of what your fears are. Once you understand what fears are holding you back, you’ll do a much better job at preventing them from getting in your way when setting out to achieve your goals.
4. “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” – Yoda
Does this one even need an explanation? Yoda makes it clear in this one that fear is the cause of most of our suffering as it can have such an impact on the rest of our life.
5. “The greatest teacher, failure is.” – Yoda
Most of us go through life doing everything in our power to avoid failure, yet Yoda speaks the truth here. Sometimes the route to our success is through failure and more times than often, we’ll learn something profound when we do.
6. “Pass on what you have learned.” – Yoda
On the surface, it can be a very simple concept to pass on the things you learn in life but thinking about this on a deeper level reveals its importance. For example: When you learn how to do something well and it brings you success and fulfilment, imagine how it’ll benefit the people around you if you helped them achieve the same level of success; and imagine how it’ll benefit you if everyone in your circle is living in harmony with the same values and sense of achievement.
7. “Already know you that which you need.” – Yoda
You are already complete and you are enough as you are right now. Yes, it’s great to pursue goals and dream of a magnificent life, but remember, you already are everything you need.
8. “Adventure. Excitement. A Jedi craves not these things.” – Yoda
People confuse happiness with things like excitement and thrills but these things don’t last forever and it’s easy for us to get attached to what we believe brings us happiness. Here lies the dangerous territory of the space between our last epic adventure and the next, wondering why we feel so empty inside.
9. “Not if anything to say about it I have.”
Yoda simply means, “Over my dead body” or as long as I have anything to say about this, you will not succeed!
10. “Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not.”
Don’t judge me by my size, appearance or from your limited perception. Just because something may seem insigificant from the outside, doesn’t mean it is inferior to you or anyone else. A common phrase that comes to mind is, “don’t judge a book by it’s cover.”
11. “The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is.”
Basically saying the future is impossible to see from the dark side. Even the powers of a Jedi will struggle.
12. “Clear your mind must be, if you are to find the villains behind this plot.”
Don’t just assume who you think the villain is, clear your mind of thoughts and judgements to find the true culprit.
13. “Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.”
14. “Much to learn you still have…my old padawan. This is just the beginning!”
15. “Good relations with the Wookiees, I have.”
16. “Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.”
17. “Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.”
18. “In the end, cowards are those who follow the dark side.”
19. “Mind what you have learned. Save you it can.”
20. “Your weapons, you will not need them.”
21. “To answer power with power, the Jedi way this is not.”
22. “In this war, a danger there is, of losing who we are.”
23. “You will find only what you bring in.”
24. “Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is.”
25. “Around the survivors a perimeter create.”
26. “Soon will I rest, yes, forever sleep. Earned it I have. Twilight is upon me, soon night must fall.”
27. “At an end your rule is, and not short enough it was!”
28. “When you look at the dark side, careful you must be, for the dark side looks back.”
29. “You will know good from bad when you are at peace and passive.”
30. “Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.”
31. “Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.”
32. “A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.”
33. “You fail because you don’t believe.”
First you must believe. Believe it’s even possible and believe in yourself for you to fully succeed.
34. “If you end your training now, if you choose the quick and easy path as Vader did, you will become an agent of evil.”
This one is deep and it took me a while to fully understand it. Here’s how I interpret it: When you’re on a path of mastery in anything, there are no shortcuts. It’s also important to remember why you even set out on this path. To serve yourself AND those around you. When you cut corners and try to find a quick and easy route, you stop learning your craft and you stop growing. You shift your attention on your own needs and stop serving others, which inevitably turns into a resentful or “evil” place of existence.
35. “A challenge lifelong it is, not to bend fear into anger.”
Many things in life can be challenging, but it is our job to accept this as a part of life. If every struggle turns into anger or frustration, we avert our attention from what needs to be done and shine our focus on the challenging aspects of the journey.
Steve is a mindset coach and writer, helping overwhelmed creators break the habit of being employed and develop the habits and mindset of entrepreneurship. Learn more